There may be some good news on the horizon for Cape Town residents following an announcement by the City of Cape Town metro executive that it plans to call for a drought levy to be rescinded.
Last month, a full council meeting voted in favour of a proposal to introduce a drought charge for ratepayers which would pay for water projects in the area.
However, the battle currently being waged to have mayor Patricia De Lille removed from office has led the executive to make a U-turn on the drought levy decision.
The Democratic Alliance regional executive said on Wednesday that it had lost confidence in the mayor and called for her removal. Additionally, the executive said that it would be recommending that the drought levy proposal is rescinded as it would be an undue burden on ratepayers.
It suggested the City reprioritise its budget to find the R1-billion needed to fund water projects in the metro.
The executive acknowledged the unprecedented challenges – including the water crisis – facing Cape Town currently and said that strong leadership was required, which De Lille is not able to provide.
Mayor Patricia De Lille is facing calls to step down after allegations of corruption and mismanagement levelled against her were made public.
She has maintained her innocence and dismissed the regional executive’s recommendation to rescind the drought levy, saying that the decision was taken without consulting branches.
“This is yet another example of the flagrant disregard for processes within the DA,” she said.