RAF experiencing leadership crisis


The South African Transport and Allied Workers’ Union (SATAWU) said the controversial Road Accident Fund (RAF) was in a serious state of crisis.

The trade union said intervention from the Transport Ministry had never been more urgent, adding that Joe Maswanganyi needed to appoint a Chief Executive Officer, sooner rather than later.

The RAF has consistently battled with transparency and in the absence of clear leadership that crisis is due to just worsen.

“The RAF has been without a CEO since June this year even though the board interviewed several suitably qualified candidates in April,” said SATAWU spokesperson Zanele Sabela.

The trade union already has a candidate in mind.

“Among those interviewed was Dr Nomonde Mabuya, a qualified medical doctor best known for her work as the chair of the board of Pikitup,” added Sabela.

“Under her stewardship, three separate entities with more than 2 000 employees were integrated into what we now know as Pikitup. The immediate appointment of a CEO will stabilise the organisation; boost staff morale; finally see the organisation start to implement RABSA – a standardised method of paying out claims; and most importantly it will begin to stem the fund’s R40 billion deficit,” explained Sabela.

Among the things that SATAWU wants interrogated is the R11-million allegedly spent on fixing potholes in the Pietermaritzburg municipality.

SATAWU said a sound CEO will also be able to establish why the fund switched its original employee wellness program to one that is administered by Momentum but costs twice as much at R3-million per annum. Moreover, the contract was allegedly never put out to tender.

The trade union believes the RAF is under siege and needs urgent rescuing.

“The right person at the helm would also provide answers as to why billions were spent on Project Siyenza, which saw between 35 000 and 40 000 files handed over to Medscheme and Ernest & Young for finalisation at the cost of R15 000 to R25 000 per file. The files were returned virtually untouched three years later and RAF staff had to finalise them.”